Thursday, September 1, 2011

Copenhagen

Being a tourist is hard work. First you have to decide what to bring. I always bring too much and never that one article of clothing that would be perfect for the trip. And if you are geographically challenged, in other words your map reading skills are suspect, you spend a lot of time going in circles figuring out how to get from here to there and then back again. I'm very proud of myself on this trip. I've managed to wander around central Stockholm and now Copenhagen without getting hopelessly lost despite the fact that both cities' centers are not laid out on a grid like Philadelphia. Also, both cities have incredibly long street names which make map reading all the more difficult.

Today I probably spent an entire morning walking around a radius of maybe ten blocks. I kept turning down side streets, stepping into tiny shops, walking into galleries, admiring the architecture and then finding myself in some big public square or historic setting. I really like Copenhagen but I think, like Stockholm, I am seeing it at its best. The sun is shining, the outdoor cafes are full (although they thoughtfully provide blankets on the back of chairs) and the bike lanes are crowded. It may still be summer and sultry back home but here it feels like fall or early spring. Nobody is walking or biking in flip flops and shorts. Its rare to see see sandals at all. Jackets are necessary and boots and sneakers are the preferred foot gear. I can't imagine it ever gets really hot and steamy here.

It's too bad I never learned to ride a bike because that is definitely the way to go here. Bike lanes are ubiquitous and they move fast. I even witnessed a major smash up today when two bikers collided and both went down pretty dramatically. Fortunately they both got up and seemed OK. There was no yelling or screaming. They just picked up their bikes and pedaled off. I think I will stick to the sidewalk.

No comments: