Monday, August 29, 2011

My Hurricane Experience

I missed the hurricane. Years from now when my grandchildren ask me, "Where were you, BB, when the Schuykill overflowed?" I'll have to say I was in Stockholm, Sweden being a tourist, a job I'm at which I'm very accomplished. I'm almost sorry I missed the hurricane. It might have fun sitting on my window seat in the kitchen watching the rain and listening to the wind. Then again maybe that wouldn't have been such a good idea.

I'm glad I haven't missed seeing Stockholm. The city is beautiful and clean and charming and filled with beautiful and clean and very white people, all of whom speak English--which is a good thing since Danish is completely incomprehensible. So far I've done the historic thing. I've wondered through the cobblestone streets and alleys of the old town getting lost but somehow finding my way back to my hotel. I toured the royal palace, saw the changing of the guard and visited the modern museum. I've eaten fish at a harbor side restaurant. Today I plan to do the real work--a thorough survey of the fashion and design scene i.e. shopping.

Surprisely for a city that seems so homogenous and placid compared to the grit and texture of Philly, Stockholm isn't boring. There's an edginess to the city--lots of cool looking young people all wearing Jack Purcell Converse sneakers and skinny jeans while riding their bikes. One thing I did notice is that no one crosses the street until the light turns green. Everyone--hipster, business person, housewife (Is there such a thing in Stockholm?)--waits patiently until the light changes. That sure as hell wouldn't happen back in Philly!

No comments: