Thursday, September 15, 2011

Home with Wilbur

My husband thought he would live forever. So did I. So it was a big surprise to both of us when he died. It’s been over a year now and I’m busy living my life without him. It’s hard work but I’m managing. But, he, how is he doing up there, down there, wherever he is, without all of us around him. Is he lonely too? Does he miss the laughter, all the good times.

I like to imagine him sitting quietly up on the hill overlooking the lake. He’s dressed in a saffron colored robe and wears his favorite hat. Does he wonder when it will be time to get up, rejoin the party, make noise again. Or is he content to watch it all go by.

I’m having all these thoughts because I am in Maine again just for a day and a half on the way to a wedding in New Hampshire. I am here with Liz and Giuliano and Wilbur, the most adorable of puppies, and being with all of them makes a huge difference in my mood and my outlook. The house doesn’t seem haunted now. I can see a future here and it’s a happy one.

No comments: