Thursday, April 22, 2010

We have Finally Left the Property!

History was made last night. Steve and I got into our sporty little Alfa Romeo and drove off to Pienza at sunset time. Peinza and prosecco: a perfect combination especially as we sat on the city walls watching the colors of the landscape soften as the sun slowly disappeared behind the hills. Then it was on to Montechiello for dinner at La Porta where I celebrated my birthday last year. This year, I severely restricted my alcohol intake since I, as always with Steve, am the designated driver. Fortunately, there were virtually no cars on the road when we left and we were able to find our way back to Casselacchia without incident.

Of course, I have been leaving Cassalacchia every day to take my marathon walks but today was truly special. I hiked once again to Castiglioncello, a good hour or so uphill, and then met Lucia, my new cicerona. From there, we walked another two hours plus up and down through the woods, listening to the sound of the cuckoo, all the way to Sarteano. Fortunately, Lucia’s father drove us back to Casselacchia. I think I will sleep well tonight.

No comments: