Thursday, April 15, 2010

I am Not a Sloth

Today I did things. First of all, I did laundry. I love doing laundry in Italy. As is customary, our apartment is equipped with a washing machine but no dryer. Laundry is meant to be hung. The minute the sun comes out, laundry sprouts up on terraces or waves out from windows and over the streets. Today was no exception. I washed and then I hung our socks, our shirts, our underwear out to dry in the sun on the terrace above our kitchen.

After lunch--arugala salad and cheese a casa nostra--I raced up to the Quirinale for the Carvaggio exhibit. A magnificent experience despite the need to jostle for position in front of every painting. And then I got wonderfully lost on my way back to Trastevere to meet Steve for a drink. Getting lost in Rome is fun. It means wandering sort of in the right direction through back streets and tiny piazzas until I find a landmark that sets me definitely on my way.

No comments: