Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Buon Giorno

We've been here since Saturday afternoon and I have yet to leave the environs of Casselacchia. It's just too freaking beautiful! What a luxury to be here alone with my charming husband of nearly 41 years. Do you know that when I met him--what must have been a century ago--I was surprised, no shocked that he hadn't been snatched up already by some crafty jewish princess from Elkins Park or some blond schiksa fantasy from Chestnut Hill. Their loss, my gain. And yes, there are still times--not all the time, believe me--when I do feel that way.

Anyway, it's been less than a week but already I have fallen into a wonderful rhythm--a long, long walk in the morning followed by lunch al fresco, some bocce, some reading, sunset and prosecco, dinner alle due and them we prop up our eyelids and watch a movie on the computer. If this is old age, I'm all for it.

Allora, questo giorno, I walked all the way up to Castiglioncello (a real tongue twister to pronounce). It took me about an hour and a half and the last half hour was straight up. And who greeted me at the top--besides the spectacular view of the Val d'Orcia--was a carbon copy of Pella, Liz and Giul's beautiful grey dog with the soulful blue eyes. I puttered around the charming village, not a soul in sight, and then headed back down to home and lunch and Steve.

No comments: