Monday, December 21, 2009


Today is the winter solstice--the longest night of the year. It's also the night before Liz and Giuliano leave for Jamaica where they will living and working for who knows how long. (I'm cultivating an open mind about the duration of their sojourn.) I'm sad and happy and scared and excited all at the same time for them. I'll miss them terribly but I am also so proud of the two of them for having the courage to take the leap and make the move. For the last few nights, they've been living back home with Steve and me in Liz's old room. Steve loves it--he can talk sports and real estate to Giul from early in the morning until late at night.

And, of course, in true Solms fashion, we had to have a party to mark their leave taking. Despite the blizzard conditions, some 30 of their friends trekked to our house for a great evening. Those hardy souls who braved the snow enjoyed a menu planned and prepared by Liz with Amira, Abby and I serving as willing and able sous-chefs.

Fortunately, Steve and I take off early tomorrow morning too for an extended vacation--not to Jamaica although, don't worry, I'm already planning a month long visit next year. We're be vacationing for three weeks in South America where it's summer time and hot. I'm ready to samba, tango and soak up the sun!

No comments: