Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Where Are the Sixers

I am very upset about what’s happening or rather what’s not happening with the NBA. Truly, I was looking forward to this year’s season. Last year was a washout for me. I was too sad to go the stadium where Steve was such a fixture. I was happy to give the tickets away. But this year, Liz and Giul are back and the Solms family including me, for at least some games, would be back where we belonged at mid court. I was getting ready to learn the players’ names, read the box scores in the Daily News, be a fan again in loving homage to my husband.

Every year at the start of the season he’d say, “They’re going to be fun to watch.“ That was code for “They really stink but I’m determined to be optimistic.” Ever hopeful he was that the season would be a good one or at least an interesting one. I loved that about him. He never got too sour or cynical about the Sixers. He just enjoyed the game too much.

He would not be at all happy now about the NBA or the players. As ESPN succinctly states they “have violated the sanctity of the schedule and failed to live up to their side of the covenant: provide games for fans to watch.” What a shame.

No comments: