Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Bionic Woman?

What happens to a 62 year old body when you lift weights, do an intensive vinyasa yoga class and take a one hour private tennis lesson from a pro who's trying to kill you all within 36 hours of each other? You wind up in extreme pain face down on a table getting needles stuck all over your butt.

I think I've learned my lesson now. Only one form of exercise within a 24 hour period or suffer the consequences. Could I do this when I was younger? I really don't know. The irony is I didn't become such an athlete until late in life. I spent high school gym class shooting the shit with the girls. No field hockey for me. I didn't discover regular exercise until after Liz was born. Of course, then I embraced it with a vengeance, fueled by vanity but also a belief that exercise was a necessary component of a long and healthy life, sort of like taking vitamins. I still believe that but maybe I need to exercise with some moderation. Ooh, does that mean I'm getting old? An unpleasant thought.

No comments: