Thursday, September 17, 2009

Let Me Entertain You


Last night, I had the pleasure of hosting a dinner for some 25 fabulous women. It was really easy thanks to the delicious food provided by Sweet Pea Nourishment aka Liz Solms. The women were all members of the Host Committee for One Night Only, a great party on Friday, October 2 that benefits Women's Medical Fund, the only organization in the Delaware Valley area that provides direct financial assistance for low income women and teens who need a safe and legal abortion.

Without the right and the means to control one's reproductive history, women are truly slaves. That may seem like a draconian statement but to me it is a fundamental and deeply felt belief. Maybe it's because my reproductive history encompasses almost the full range of possible experiences: I've had an abortion; I have a biological child; I've had a miscarriage; I've had fertility treatments; I have an adopted child. But at every moment, I was free to make a choice unconstrained by financial considerations or government restrictions.

The women and teens who come to Women's Medical Fund don't have that freedom to choose because they don't have the money to pay for a safe and legal abortion. It's as simple as that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ellen, thanks for sharing about your experiences. I am proud to raise money for WMF, even more so after hearing Judy speak about likelihood of further government restrictions. See you on the 2nd.

Toni G said...

Your candor is exemplary.....we need to come out of the dark ages on those experiences which we, as women, sometimes have had to shield from others......but ultimately each one of us can serve as an example of 'just plain life's evolution taking place within our bodies' much of which we CAN control and benefit from........and that should be universal no matter the financial resources. WMF provides for that and I'm honored to be a part of it.