Thursday, April 2, 2009

I Am On a Mission

My assignment this April: Find a dress for Liz's wedding. So...Tuesday, Liz and I go up to NYC together and spend a few hours at Barney's looking for a dress for me. No good. Everything looks too Mother of the Bride-ish (Hey, I am the Mother of the Bride but I'm still hip and happening, I hope) or something Demi Moore might wear. In other words, too sexy and definitely inappropriate. Plus salesgirls are just plain bitchy. Bad vibes all around.

I've scoured most of the stores in Philly. First stop--Boyd's where all the salesgirls are very curvacious Russian ladies with thick accents and even thicker makeup. I say I'm looking for something for a summer wedding in the woods and they look at me pitifully. Does that mean no caviar? No go at Knit Wit and Plage Tahiti unless I want to pretend I'm 20 something with lots of uplift and a penchant to bare all.

Most depressing is Sophy Curson. I shopped there last years and years ago with my mother. It's where I bought my first and only prom dress, a full length fantasy of pink lace. (BTW, I never did make it to my senior prom, a narcissistic injury I have from which I have never recovered. I wore the dress to my cousin Sue's wedding where I first met my husband at the tender age of 17. But that's a whole other story.) Now it's a fading temple to women in their 60's and 70's. I don't think you're allowed in unless your hair is cut and sprayed like a army helmet and you're wearing a St. John's suit and Ferragamo flats. I was definitely out of place in my jeans and T shirt but I thought I would give it a try for old time's sake. Bad idea. Everything was satin with ruffles and a matching jacket and wrapped in plastic. How long can this place last, I wonder.

To be continued...

No comments: