Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter Dinner

I don't think I ever celebrated Easter dinner before. Well, how would I? I'm Jewish and baked ham has never appeared on any menu I've ever experienced. Can't say I've missed it. But tonight we were invited to the Pignataro's, Liz's future in-laws, for dinner and if this is Easter dinner let us please have more of these in the future.

Alphonse's menu: Flatbread with clams and potatoes; Ravioli stuffed with roasted eggplant and goat cheese in a fabulous tomato sauce; halibut with a blueberry sauce (memo to self: must recreate this in Maine); turnip and parsnip puree (ambrosia!), roasted root vegetables, roast pork shoulder brined in maple syrup; asparagus; poached pears and berry sauce; chocolate cake layered with whip cream and almonds. We leave the table groaning and fully sated.

How lucky are we that Liz is marrying Giuliano. Not only to we get a project manager for a son-in-law but our family dinners are enriched in every sense of the word by Alphonse's desserts and Anita's good humor.

1 comment:

Toni G said...

not like any Italian Easter dinner I've ever had (except for my Nana's homemade ravioli and the roasted pork (Porketta oh yeah) definitely no fish in blueberry sauce...but sounds wonderful)and another definitely not poached pears...I don't think my family ever heard of poached pears but otherwise, Easter lunch/dinner immediately after that long church sermon was so welcome. and raiding the Easter Basket was THE BEST