Friday, April 17, 2009

The End of An Era

Today I am bidding goodby to the last vestiges of my working woman/executive director wardrobe. Bundled in a bag, waiting to be picked up are a choice selection of silk blouses all featuring bows that needed to be carefully tied, fancy designer labels and, of course, the requisite shoulder pads. Nestled in the bag as well are a random selection of skirts, pants and jackets all dating from the 80's and early 90's, my era of power dressing.

Those were the days when every morning I threw on my office uniform consisting of a sharply tailored suit--short skirt, broad shouldered jacket, jewel-toned silk shirt and always black tights and heels. Those days are long gone and over the years, I've quietly de-accessioned a large proportion of my working woman wardrobe. (Although I still have bags of opaque black stockings stashed at the bottom of a closet. No chance of ever running out of that still essential item.) But for some reason, I just wasn't ready to say goodby to those particular blouses. Their utter impracticality (brilliantly colored silks that demanded to be dry cleaned) and inappropriateness to my current way of life (not suitable for wearing to the gym or hiking up a mountain) were part of their charm. And, I admit, there was a tiny voice in the back of my head that said, "Maybe, just maybe, you might just want to wear them again."

2 comments:

Toni G said...

Well, if you ever did want (or ever do) wear them again I'm certain it will be to take over some ailing company, facility, organization that absolutely requires your attention & devotion. The shoulder pads may be obsolete but your brain capacity & imagination shall reign forever. I'm told hiking & gym guarantees that !!!! all that fresh air & discipline.....yikes, I'm in trouble (big trouble)

DJ ABBY KLEIN said...

I haven't forgotten that when I was really heartbroken a while back I was a beneficiary of some of your party-wear and let me tell you it cheered me up then and has been getting both compliments and mileage since. I say your look of late, skinny jeans and cool sweaters and tops is lookin mighty gorgeous :)