Monday, November 17, 2008

Celebrating Jeelu


Something wonderful happened this weekend. Five women--two mothers and three daughters and all friends--spent four days together at Blackberry Farm in eastern Tennessee. During the day, we roamed around the property or snuggled in front of the fire in our luxurious farm house. At night, we enjoyed incredible dinners--think grits with white truffle and lots and lots of cream. But mostly we celebrated the very special and talented and loving Ms. Jeelu Billimoria. Here is my tribute to this wonderful, wonderful woman that I love so much.

TO MY SISTER…

We all know Jeelu. She’s a fantastically talented producer with a shelf of Emmys to prove it; a doting and supportive mother to Sanaya and Asha; a devoted and caring daughter who calls her mother in India every day; a patient, loyal and loving wife to Elliot.

But I know her as a very special friend and surrogate sister. Someone who took off my clothes and put me to bed when I had one too many and never chastised me the next morning about my behavior. Someone my daughter could turn to when she needed help in a crisis when I was far away. And, most significantly, the other half of “couple number one” who is always ready to dance until the music stops and the lights go on.

You know you are really good friends with someone when the “getting to know you” part
of your relationship is lost in history. I’ve known Jeelu for over 30 years now but somehow it seems like we’ve always been constant and close companions despite the fact that we haven’t even lived in the same city for some 25 years. We’ve traveled together, mourned together, raised our children together, analysed our husbands together. There’s not much we haven’t done together…except work out, I guess. Although I do remember doing yoga on the roof together in Greece. Maybe there’s hope yet we’ll hit the gym together at some point.

To me, Jeelu epitomizes character, courage and commitment. She left her family and home at age 19 and voyaged half way across the world to a foreign country. Could any of us imagine taking such a giant step at that age? She faced up to the challenge of breast cancer with tremendous fortitude and then used her experience to help so many others through her ongoing TV specials. Her parents, her children, her mate, her friends have all benefited from her wisdom, her love and her ferocious powers of organization. She is truly someone who takes pleasure in caring for others.

For some years now we’ve called each other sister but we’ve never experienced sibling rivalry. We don’t have to share a room, fight over clothes or vie for our parents’ attention. We can laugh together, sometimes cry together and always just enjoy each other’s company. My sister, my friend, let’s promise to keep on dancing for many years to come.

All my love,
Ellen

4 comments:

alittlehoney said...

Tears in my eyes all over again! We are so lucky to have, and love, each other!

Can't wait for many more celebrations!

love youse guys.

Jeelu said...

You are too too much and thank you again and again for the sweetest celebration and your words that I hold dear and deep in my heart!

The truest thing you said to the girls was it is wonderful to have a sister but it is even better when you can choose one..... you're mine!!!

Your unending kindness, generosity and love overwhelm me.
I love you and how marvelous is it that the girls will always have each other!
J

Toni G said...

I just LOVED this exchange of love and friendship. You two seem to wrap each other in a blanket of dewiness that the harshness of life cannot penetrate.

Asha Kaufman said...

As I marvel at my own relationship with Liz, feeling more grateful than ever for the knowing, long time support, friendship and familiar love, I google my mother and this comes up. And then I realize that it is you two that have given us the model. Thank you for your friendship, for your mutual love and admiration. It is more than you know.