Monday, September 22, 2008

Some Enchanted Evening

I went to New York today to see South Pacific. It was such a beautiful day that I walked all the way from Penn Station to Lincoln Center.

At the theater, I had an incredible seat--fourth row and dead center. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE South Pacific and this production is fantastic. When I was a little girl, I danced around my living room as my parents listened to the original soundtrack with Enzio Pinza and Mary Martin. And one of the highlights of my career at summer camp was when I starred as Bloody Mary in the Camp Greylock for Girls production and brought the house down with my soulful rendition of Bali Hai. (I had auditioned for the part of Nellie Forbush wanting like all the girls to be the ingenue who washed that man right out of her hair but Joan Friedman, that goody-goody, snagged the part.) For years after, I couldn't take a shower without singing the entire score. I still remember the words to most of the songs. And they call me a cockeyed optimist...

Afterward, I met my BFF and sistah, aka Jane and Jeelu, for dinner downtown before taking the train back to Philadelphia.


Wait til I get in the shower tomorrow morning.

3 comments:

sanaya said...

love love LOVE this pic.

so cute.

alison wadsworth said...

i can't wait to see it! as soon as i found out revival was coming i freaked out. i swear, i washed the man right outta my hair every day since then too. wished i coulda seen you do bali high too! my fav.

Sheila McDonald said...

Now I know why you grew your hair so long!!