Monday, August 1, 2011

Going with the Flow

Sometimes life takes you in weird directions. This morning I woke up in the throes of a major anxiety attack--edgy and restless, lots of tears, couldn't run, couldn't do yoga, couldn't do ANYTHING except play countless games of Boggle on my Ipad. Finally, when I guzzled down a whole container of hummus a mere two hours after eating breakfast, I realized I had to get out of Maine despite the fact that it was yet another quintessential sunny and beautiful Maine day. It was just too painful to be there all alone especially this week as I/we count down to the one year anniversary. Ok, I take control. I make a decision. I make a reservation to go home to Philly, to my beautiful, sexy boudoir, to my new library, to life in the big city where I can go the gym, yoga class and maybe, just maybe not feel so sad and lonely.

Cut to the chase, I get to the Portland airport and discover that in my addled and anxious state I have made a reservation in the WRONG direction i.e. from Philly to Portland. This is clear evidence that I am losing my mind, despite the fact that every day I faithfully do the NYTimes crossword puzzle.

Happy ending: I spend the night in Portland and have an absolutely fantastic dinner at Emilitsa--fried cheese with Turkish figs in a sweet balsamic sauce followed by a perfectly grilled whole fish on a bed of chard, all washed down, of course, with several glasses of white wine.

I toddle back to my hotel happy at last.

1 comment:

joshgoldfein said...

OMLG I live in fear of doing that. Sounds like you had the last laugh. I think will make a reservation there!