Thursday, April 21, 2011

Higher Education

I think I well on my way to earning a Ph.D in widowhood. Having just completed Joyce Carol Oates’ “Widow”, I’ve now done all the required reading. What a weird book. The first third of the book when she deals with her immediate reactions and emotions I found oddly exhilarating. “Yes!,” I kept saying. “That’s how it feels. Exactly.” But then she lost me. Way too much talk about the allure of suicide when I was certain that wasn’t going to happen. And then to discover that nine months afterwards she got married again after writing almost 500 pages detailing her mental and physical anguish. But then who am I to be so judgmental. She did what she had to in order to survive.

Here am I at almost the nine month mark of my widowhood. I have no plans for the future except to get through this year. Right now that seems enough of an accomplishment.

1 comment:

Toni G said...

EXACTLY we all experience loss differently. Just getting through it is monumental. All paths are open to us, the choice is ours solely.
Returning to the city mid-May. See you then.