Wednesday, February 16, 2011

In Residence

I am officially in residence in Jamaica. My toes are painted turquoise. I’m drinking rum cocktails at sunset and sleeping under a mosquito net with the sound of the ocean lulling me into dreamland.

I must be relaxed. I keep dreaming about Steve. Good dreams and funny ones too, like home movies that make you smile and feel sad at the same time, but still are more happy than sad. I’m almost looking forward to going to bed and watching tonight’s installment.

Shakti House is unchanged, thank goodness. But I have discovered a new favorite place to read and write—propped up on pillows on the window seat in my bedroom. The windows open wide to the sky and the sea. During the day, the view is all blue and gold and white. At sunset I can watch the sun move through huge puffy purple clouds until it disappears into the ocean in a blaze of red. In a way, it reminds me of being in Maine where I like to lay propped up on pillows on the living room sofa reading a book and looking out at the lake and acres of diamonds. I am so lucky.

3 comments:

Toni G said...

at this moment and in this revitalizing place, your heart is experiencing contentment......we all smile at that.

sanaya said...

oh ellen, that sounds divine. and turquoise! yes.

Paige said...

It was so special to be with you in residence...I loved coming in from the beach and seeing you perched in your window seat. Ahhh, I miss it already!