Thursday, January 13, 2011

What Next?

I am happy. I am sad. I am laughing. I can’t stop crying. Mostly I am tired. Tired of taking my mental temperature fifty times a day. Tired of living within my head, carrying on a conversation that never ends. I keep asking, “When will this be over?” This being a weird mixed state of shock and awe, sadness and happiness, despair and hope.

I am waiting by the side of the road for happiness to come my way again. What will it look like? What will it feel like? I’m not depressed, just sad but not, thank goodness, all of the time. I’m also expectant, resilient and still confident that I have a deep capacity for joy. I know I must be patient but that, for me—a doer, a problem-solver—is the hardest challenge.

I’m no stranger to loss, not frightened by change but this is different. 41 years of my life, my marriage, died one sunny morning in August. When I picture my marriage to Steve, I see a huge, rambling structure created over long periods of time. It’s full of odd shaped rooms and funny passageways but comfortable and comforting to live in. Now it’s gone. What next?

3 comments:

Liz Alperin Solms said...

Hi Ellen. Just sending a little bit of love. That image of your marriage to Steve as a huge rambling structure with odd-shaped rooms and strange passageways is perfect. It made me smile, making that translation from the two of you to that image. I really appreciate you sharing everything you are going through. We love you and care so much about how you are doing. Liz (the other one)

Toni G said...

"What's Next"?

Unlike the normal definitions of your life, 'next' is not for you to know. Even with all our planning, 'next' happens and sometimes simply does not fall within the parameters of our planning. When 'next' does arrive, judge it carefully and wisely....you'll know. In the meantime, keep joy at the surface until the tides of your longing meld silently deep within you. They, too, are comfortable and comforting. Good travels Ellen.

Paige said...

What next? Hmmm...Well the only thing I know for sure is that I'll be coming over tomorrow evening and I'm gonna give you a big squeeze. And then we can drink some wine and fantasize about Jamaica AND Columbia...how's that for starters? xo