Thursday, January 20, 2011

Ringless

I’m not wearing my wedding rings. I took them off when I went to Jamaica and I haven’t put them back on since I’ve returned. I loved wearing them but I don’t miss them now. Somehow, it feels almost dishonest to keep wearing them. This is my reality: I’m not married anymore.

They weren’t even my original wedding rings. My “real” engagement ring, the one Steve gave to me on my 22nd birthday just one month (!) after we met, was stolen along with my wedding band one summer about 15 years ago. Then it really did feel weird not to be wearing my rings. Eventually I took an old ring belonging to my mother-in-law and had it reset to my taste and bought a wedding band to go with it. They were beautiful but they had absolutely no sentimental value, just some jewelry I treated myself to, something I've been known to do more than once.

Now they sit in my jewel box and not on my finger.

No comments: