Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Love Letters

My husband wrote me love letters. Every year for my birthday and our anniversary he would buy me huge cards with poetic messages, the best that Hallmark could deliver. I picture him at the stationary store carefully examining each card, studying the words and then finally selecting just the right one. He would cover all the blank spaces with long, never ending sentences full of feeling and love. The only punctuation would be exclamation marks. He couldn’t wait to give me his card. He’d put it under my pillow at night or present it with a flourish first thing in the morning. I had to read it aloud slowly and carefully and assure him that I understood and valued every word. My cards were just the opposite. Usually humorous. Always with a brief sign off: Love from your lovely wife. I wonder if he was disappointed.

1 comment:

Toni G said...

It is just amazing----the similarities we shared in the relationship and habits of our husbands ...... I will tell (and show) you at BreakFast. Just amazing.