Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Today

I left my husband today on a hillside overlooking the lake. He was sleeping peacefully in a plain pine box. He was dressed in a saffron colored robe and had his favorite fedora on his head. I told him I loved him as I shoveled dirt on the box. I went back to the house without him. He was looking at the lake and didn’t want to be disturbed.

There was a beautiful sunset tonight. I sat on the dock and watched the sun disappear into the lake. The sky turned red and purple and gold. The lake was quiet and the mosquitoes hummed. I looked in the water but I couldn’t see Steve. I guess he’s still on the hill sleeping peacefully. I hope he wakes up soon.

4 comments:

pasturesofheaven said...

Dare I comment? Ellen, I hope not to intrude in your sacred space, but I feel compelled to respond. Your bravery to share your inner life is unequaled and I am in awe. You are a goddess of strength, courage, and wisdom! Your radiance is the perfect counterpart for Steve who was already a god among men while he was here...I can't imagine his brilliance now. Steve so deserves the beautiful love you, and his family, and his friends have for him. I am sure he feels it.

I believe that when you dream of Steve, it is truly him in spirit, he will surely comfort you.

Beverly Chapman DeCer

Toni G said...

as Beverly wrote """Dare I comment? Ellen, I hope not to intrude in your sacred space, but I feel compelled to respond."""

EXACTLY HOW I FELT WHEN READING "TODAY" I NORMALLY DO NOT HESITATE TO RESPOND BUT DID NOT WANT TO INTRUDE ON HER SACRED THOUGHTS AT THAT MOMENT OF FAREWELL. THE EARTH HAS BEEN STILLED, THE HEAVENS ARE AFLAME AND TREMBLING AND ABUZZ.......
HE'S HERE. HE'S HERE

AND HE'S GOT SOME MIGHTY GOOD FRIENDS UP THERE.......YOUR LIFE WILL NEVER BE THE SAME, YOU BEINGS OF ABOVE. HE MAY BE YOURS NOW BUT HIS FOOTPRINT ON THIS EARTH SHALL LAST FOREVER IN SO MANY HEARTS.

Anonymous said...

I searched for words. There are none. Your life partner was a beautiful human being. You are on my heart. Love you,

Wil

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.