Thursday, August 19, 2010

Morning

I wake up early ever morning in Maine. Steve and I never put the blinds down at night. We wanted to be able to look at the stars and the moon and the outline of the trees when we went to bed. We wanted our eyes to open to the new day on the lake when we woke up. I always got up before him. I’d peer over the curve of his back as the light moved from grey to pink to gold and green. I liked feeling him warm beside me, sleeping peacefully.

I’m sleeping on his side now. There is no mountain on my horizon. I can stare straight ahead at the lake. I imagine that I am seeing it all just as he did, the joy and beauty of a new day gladdened with the blessing of health.

1 comment:

Toni G said...

I still see most things through Shep's eyes......and realize there never was much disparity in how we saw life.........nice to have two sets of eyes to maximize the magnificence of nature and love.
It varies, but never changes as we gratefully and lovingly welcome those tomorrows.