Monday, August 9, 2010

August 8, 2010

My husband died yesterday morning on a beautiful Maine day.

Every day he went for a morning dip in the lake and then sat on the deck looking up at the trees. He’d always say, “I can’t believe they let me do this.” Well yesterday, permission was denied.

I went for a run this morning and all I could see was through Steve’s eyes. The sun was shining, thin white clouds skittered across a blue sky. The oaks and the maples were full of green. I thought of him up there somewhere in the breeze, in the trees, in the clean Maine air all around me. A peaceful soul.

2 comments:

Toni G said...

Dearest Ellen,

I still do. Just as you will. We were at one with our loves and ourselves. Life shall always be filtered through that love. We are the rare ones who truly 'had it all'.......that's why it hurts so much. And that's why each moment is precious.

Barry Williams.......Phoenix, Arizona said...

Ellen, I read in the Philadelphia Inquirer about your husband passing away and I wanted to send my sincere condolences for your loss.

If you do not remember me I was a classmate of yours at Evans School and Yeadon High School.

Barry Williams