Thursday, July 16, 2009

Book Report

I've been reading the most boring books lately. Right now, I 'm slogging my way through a history of the Italian campaigns against Austria during World War I. I love all things about Italy--the food, the style, the language--but this book is literally Too Much Information and will in no way contribute to my appreciation of Marcella's sublime eggplant parmigiana. The only thing that reading this book confirms is that Italian politics are totally fucked up and have been so way before Berlusconi!

What I need is a return to a big fat classic with lots of interesting characters and a story that you never want to end. I'm contemplating a Dickens novel or maybe middle period Henry James or, here's a thought, going for the gold and rereading Middlemarch for the third time.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey El - I miss you! Try Saul Bellow's "Adventures of AugIe March ". It will engage and satisfy. xxxx to you and Steve -Deb