Sunday, January 18, 2009

On to DC

We stayed home to watch the Eagles game and missed our chance to be at the Lincoln Memorial for the inaugural concert. Bad choice, it turns out. But tomorrow we are on our way to Washington and the inauguration of Barack Obama!!

Mostly I am concerned about staying warm for the five hours or so we'll be hanging around waiting for the big moment. In preparation, I've borrowed fleece lined boots from Liz; I've bought hand warmers and toe warmers at I. Goldberg's. I've planned my inauguration outfit carefully--leggings under wool pants, a jacket, a turtleneck and a wool sweater all topped off by my sheepskin coat. Frankly, I would prefer to wear my fur coat but I'm afraid it's just not PC anymore. Too bad, because it sure is warm.

I bought that coat some 20 years ago when Steve came home from a trip to Vegas with his pockets stuffed with money he won at the crap table. I immediately called my mother and told her to meet me at Nan Duskin's the next morning. What fun we had that day buying my first and only mink coat. Maybe I can still wear it around the house.

1 comment:

Toni G said...

just as I did twenty years ago at Nan Duskin's Fur Salon, owner of which was my very dear friend from Scranton Harold Joseph. He talked me into a Valentino full length mink which has resided in Liz & Bob's closet for the past 15 years. I TOOK IT OUT FOR THIS TRIP AND SOOOOOO GLAD I GAVE INTO PRACTICALITY AND NOT P.C. It was all worth it wasn't it? the Inauguration I mean. the coat goes back into the closet tonight.