Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Oh to sleep...

I read an article yesterday about a woman who loves to sleep. She claims to spend at least 10 hours every night in bed, eyes closed, blissfully off in the land of Nod and all without any chemical assistance. She falls asleep as soon as her head hits the pillow, loves lingering between the covers until late morning and expresses her sorrow that others cannot or will not do the same.

(BTW, I read this article at the podiatrist stretched out in a massage chair while getting several treatments to supposedly heal my damaged post-inauguration feet. Such treatments included the application of a funny looking device to stretch selected toes, electric stimulation to my arches and finally, insertion of acupuncture needles to my legs and feet. I have no idea if any of this works, but it was certainly relaxing if a bit bizarre.)

Unfortunately, I am not one to partake of that author's particular pleasure. Going to sleep is more often than not a challenge and despite my determination to sometimes sleep late, i.e past 9 am, I invariably wake up between 6:30 and 7. That doesn't mean I get dressed right away and head out the door but it does mean leaving my sleeping husband behind (He does like to sleep late and invariably does so.) and eating my simple breakfast alone at the kitchen counter while reading the newspapers. I consider it a good sign when I have read the papers and completed the NYT crossword before heading on to the next activity. Which means sleeping late on Friday and Saturday is especially difficult--those puzzles can take a long time to finish.

No comments: