Saturday, January 31, 2009

Arriverderci Vicolo del Cedro 12

It had to happen sometime but it still makes me sad. Our little house in Rome at Vicolo del Cedro 12 has been rented for a year starting this March which means this spring when we return (hopefully in April) we won't be staying there.

One year ago today we flew to Rome for a our three month sojourn, an amazing experience I will never forget. (You can read all about it by clicking here.) Sad to say, although I have so many pictures of Rome, I have hardly any of the house itself. The house was the color of Rome, that wonderful burnt orange that glows in the sun. It had a glossy dark green door with two potted trees on either side that bloomed in the spring with tiny but pungent white flowers.

What do I remember most about the house? Well, the winding staircase from the entrance floor all the way up four flights to the terrace on the roof. Our bedroom overlooking Vicolo del Cedro and the sound of the fountain across the street; the bathroom--all marble and mirrors with the bidet we never used; the tiny kitchen which I never cooked in; the living room with its lumpy sofa and collection of funky lamps; the ritual every morning of opening the shutters and letting in the sun.
Mostly I'll remember how happy I was to return there every day using my big key to open the door and step inside to the dimly lit entrance hall, feeling I could be nowhere else but in Rome, the Eternal City.


1 comment:

Jeelu said...

That's so sad! It was truly a special house. Maybe after a year, you once again will be able to visit it.