Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Will I Ever Learn Italian?

Now that the weather has turned damp and dismal, I am throwing all my energies into my nascent Italian studies. A girl has got to do something when you can't run on the road or play tennis.

I've been listening to tapes and obediently answering the question, "How do you say...?" courtesy of the Michel Thomas method. Highly boring but at least I get an hour of hearing the language. Then when I go to the gym, I listen to Italian pop on my IPod. The only problem is I have to concentrate so much on deciphering the lyrics, I lose track of what I'm doing with the weights--potentially dangerous!

Last but not least, I have begun reading one of the books that Nicoletta, my Italian tutor in Rome, recommended. This is a truly humiliating experience. It takes me literally over one hour to read about 10 pages of what is probably a young adult book since I have to look up so many words. How many I will remember? Chissa ma io provo, io provo.

No comments: