Monday, July 5, 2010

Fourth of July in Maine



I feel like I am in recovery from the Fourth of July. Three days and nights of eating and drinking staring on Friday night and culminating last night with the traditional salmon and peas. I love celebrating Fourth of July in Maine but I hate what's happening to this country. The news is so unrelenting negative. Yesterday's New York Times could make you cry--a front page story about a young soldier in Afghanistan who lost both his arms and his legs. Is there any way we can continue to justify that war? Then finish your reading with the front page story in the Sunday Week on Review, "The Great Rupture," which relates the daily suffering of jobless Americans.

Like every year, we listened to Ray Charles sing "God Bless America"; we lit sparklers; we finished our meal with strawberry shortcake and red, white and blue cookies. But this year, all the traditional hoopla just made me sad. I didn't feel particularly proud.

No comments: