Saturday, May 1, 2010

Slow Life

I am living in Maine. Well, not really. Nobody’s living in a trailer near by, but there is so much about being at Cassaloccia that reminds me of my summers in Maine. Our life revolves around food, for example. Dinner most definitely being the main event of the day, especially when Marcella and not Jane or I is doing the cooking. As in Maine, Steve never wants to leave the property. He’s content to sit in a chair, read a book or stare out the postcard spread all around us. And then there’s our nightly sunset ritual of drinking prosecco and watching the sun disappear behind the hills in a blaze of red and gold, only instead of a lake we look out over gently undulating green fields.

And, of course, there are my almost daily walks up the hills and along le strade bianche passing an occasional car and lots of sheep. Yesterday, was a particularly beautiful walk taking me through landscapes that oddly reminded me in parts of the Coon Road/Scribner Hill walk that goes through the woods and then up to a view of the White Mountains in the distance. I was with my new hiking companion, Lucia Norrito, owner of a small travel agency here, Viaggi Senza Fretta (Travel Without Haste) and with whom I have been walking twice a week with great pleasure.

We began in the resort town of Bagni Vignoli, climbed up and up to the small village of Vignolo Alto. From there, we wound our way around past vineyards, olive groves and wheat fields, past old and renovated farmhouses, many selling their own production of pecorino cheese, wine or extra virgin olive oil. Then we headed down a trail that took us through forest and eventually to the river Orcia. . .where we lost the trail and spent a good hour or so wandering up and down various paths—all beautiful--looking for landmarks. Fortunately, it was a beautiful, sunny day and we had plenty of water and time to get lost in. And, of course, this story has a very happy ending: Lucia figured out what direction to take and we were back at Bagni Vignoli feeling quite satisfied with our adventure, although seriously hungry.

I have to admit: My legs were sore when I woke up this morning!

No comments: