Monday, June 18, 2012

Personal Space

I am heading up to Maine tomorrow, the beginning of my annual warm weather pilgrimage to Heaven.  Only this year, it will be different.  I know that I will not be spending the whole summer in Maine.  I tried that last year and it didn't work.  It's too hard, too lonely to be in the house all by myself.  I keep waiting for Steve, a towel wrapped around his big belly,  to walk up the steps from the lake and plop down on his favorite seat on the deck. 

I'll have Giuliano and Wilbur, the wonder dog, with me this time and over the Fourth the house will be filled with people.  Right now, it's company I need when I am in Maine.  Empty rooms make me sad.   I certainly don't feel that way in Philly.  I relish my privacy there, rarely feel lost in my apartment despite its size.  Maybe it's because I never felt Maine was truly my space.  It was always a shared space, even a public space.  Who knows. . .just know I am going with the flow this summer.


1 comment:

sanaya said...

we are literally counting the days til we can get up there!!