Thursday, March 22, 2012

Happy Birthday Max William Beck

Today is my brother's birthday.  He would be 62.  I wonder if his hair would have turned all grey by now,  if we would have developed a pot belly.  Would he still be playing tennis, following the Phillies, rooting for the Sixers?

Ever since I was little, I always marked his birthday because it was the countdown to mine in early May.  My mom made a big deal for our birthdays--hanging a sign in the dining room, cooking our favorite foods for dinner, baking a cake from scratch and letting the birthday girl or boy lick the bowl.

Well, I'm counting down now and it feels a lot different.  I turn 65 this year, impossible but true, and I am on my own.  l don't really mind being alone.  I've always been good at it.  What I miss most of all is the sharing.  Coming together at the end of the day, at the end of a vacation, at the end of a thought, a project, a new experience and talking about it with someone who wants to listen to you. . .at least most of the time.

No comments: