Monday, May 4, 2009

Podere Casselloccia

I am living in a fantasy, on a stage set, in a movie. From every window, I see a classic Tuscan landscape of gently rolling green hills occasionally dotted with herds of fat white sheep and punctuated by rows of tall green cypress trees that mark the entryways to farms or villas. It is incredibly peaceful and beautiful.

I'm also on my way to gaining mega amounts of weight thanks to the fabulous cooking of Marcella, our housekeeper and cook. Every lunch and dinner is a three course extravaganza featuring antipasti, pasta and then a main course washed down with seemingly endless bottles of wine. Bob and Jane are here with their crew so moderation is definitely not on the agenda but I vow that next week when Steve and I are here alone that our menu choices will be more sensible but still delicious.

The house itself is huge but homey, with lots of comfortable nooks both inside and out for reading and relaxing and all with incredible vistas. Chances are Steve will never leave. But I am looking forward to exploring the many small towns and sites close by. Yesterday Bob and Jane and I took a mini excursion to Montepulciano, a medieval walled city about 20 minutes from here. Somehow we managed to negotiate our way through the very narrow streets and even found our way back home without the benefit of the GPS.

1 comment:

Toni G said...

Why do you enter my life just when I feel the need to escape to 'another reality' if only for a few moments. Thanks for the rest stop along the way.